Hi, as many of you know I'm working on a book about Grace Baptist Church. If I haven't yet interviewed you, and you'd like to share your thoughts and memories about the church, please contact me at gbcprayerwarriors@gmail.com. When I began my research for the book, I started by looking over the materials at the church. I found previous histories, the last being done about 30 years ago. These histories reviewed how we started in 1872 as a mission, grew into a tent, and then a building, and then a massive church--at one time the largest Protestant church in America. That building is today part of Temple University, its fine arts and performing center. The histories would talk about previous ministers, our locations, etc. What I was really curious about at times was the people of the church. What were those original few that started the mission like? What were they thinking? What were the times like? I've still not determined what the final output or outputs of my work will look like, but one thing I decided it I wanted to capture who we are today. What are the people who attend, or have attended, Grace Baptist, like? So I've begun interviewing many of you. If I haven't reached out to you yet, please contact me at the email above so we can set something up. This I know: We are God's people, imperfect but loving and working to bring a little heaven to earth. We are still on that mission started nearly 150 years ago.... Won't you join us?
The Four Chaplains Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13 On a frigid February 3, 1943, the US troop ship Dorchester was sailing through rough seas in a convoy out of Newfoundland bound for Greenland. They were about 150 miles off the coast. Down in the old converted cruise ship’s stifling hold, 4 US chaplains circulated among the frightened young men, some lying wide-eyed in their bunks, others nervously playing cards or shooting dice. Chatting with the troops, the chaplains eased tensions, calmed fears and passed out soda crackers to alleviate seasickness. The troops anxiously looked forward to reaching Greenland the next day. They knew that U-boats prowled their ship’s course. They did not know that by morning nearly 3/4s of them would be dead, and that the rest would have their lives changed forever. Nor did they know the magnificent way in which these four chaplains would minister to them. ...
Comments
Post a Comment